Projects You Should Totally Do: Tiny Succulent Cork Planters

{Image Source}

UPDATE: We finally tried this project and it's as easy as it looks! Check out the simple tutorial.

I must admit when a friend mentioned this idea to me a few weeks ago I crinkled my nose, all I could think about is moldy cork with a plant growing out of it.  Of course a few days later this beautiful image floated across my computer screen, and I was immediately smitten by this sweet cluster of succulents.

While I'm still adhering to my doctors orders for more bedrest, I thought I'd try to convince you that you should totally take on this project partly because it's awesome and partly so I can live vicariously through your creative endeavors!

After a little time with google I found a handy tutorial online supplied by StyleBaggage.  The cliff-note version goes something like this;

• Choose a pretty cork
  • Hollow it out
  • Slap a magnet on the back
  • Fill with a pinch or two of dirt and a succulent of your choosing

Of course for more detailed instructions check out Nellene's helpful hints to the process on her blog. The only step I would try to add is some sort of sealer to the outside of the cork, to help prevent other living organisms (mold and mildew) from taking up residence on your sweet new planters.

I can't help but think of so many great ways to display a project like this, of course they are darling as cluster or all lined up in a row but you could also incorporate these little planters into some of the other popular recycled cork projects like the ever so popular upcycled cork board.{Image Source}

Or make cork disco balls:

{Image Source}

And seriously don't you just swoon for these massive planters used in an Anthropologie display?

{Image Source}

Maybe not for the home, but if I came across these in person, I would definitely stop and ogle.  So many possibilities, so little time where shall we er I mean you begin?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This entry was posted in Decorating, Gardening, Projects. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

28 Comments

1. Posted February 15, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

2. Cody
    Posted February 17, 2012 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Those tiny flower pots are pretty cool.

• Posted February 22, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

OH the wine cork planters are so adorable, I bet they make a sweet little gift!

3. Alissa
    Posted February 23, 2012 at 10:42 am | Permalink

How lovely. Here’s a link for the photo too http://www.etsy.com/listing/83045706/custom-order-for-ranbo-succulent-cork?ref=pr_faveitems
    The cork actually does not soak up water, so don’t worry about them getting mold or anything. Enjoy!

4. Rene Romero
    Posted May 20, 2012 at 11:28 am | Permalink

I wonder how collect many corks. Could you share with us how to do it?

• Posted September 7, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Go to your local pub/bar/restaurant and ask them if they would be kind enough to throw the ones they go through into a bucket for you instead of the bin!! My partner started bringing me home the ones from his work but I told him to stop as I ran out of things to do with them – this post means I will be asking for them again though!! Just LOVE the succulent idea :) Good luck!!

• Posted September 9, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

I stopped by a small bar/diner and got them to save a gazillions bottle tops for a friend's project. They were happy to do it!

5. Posted May 21, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Cork is actually naturally mildew and mold resistant … it’s one of the reasons it has been traditionally used to store wine :)

6. Madison
    Posted May 22, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Anthropologie always has awesome displays for their store. I may not be able to afford everything, but I always stop by for inspiration.

• Posted May 23, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

I agree! I try to find the store in any city I visit! It’s probably a good thing there isn’t on in Des Moines.

7. Veronica
    Posted May 23, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

The JanniCake link isn’t working! Where can I find detailed instructions?

8. Posted May 29, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks for sharing my mini succulent wine cork tutorial on your blog! I'm a huge fan of cork crafts. So far everyone's favorite are my wine glass cork tags…check it out here http://www.stylebaggage.com/?p=1734

9. Isa
    Posted June 20, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

Tiny succulent pots = ADORABLE idea, thanks!

10. Kelly
    Posted July 12, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

How long until the succulents outgrow the cork? I'm afraid to put in all the effort and cost, only to have to repot them in a few weeks….?

• Miranda
      Posted August 28, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Most succulents are very slow growing, so these little cork pots would be great for a couple seasons, maybe more!

11. Posted July 30, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Permalink
  12. Posted July 30, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

super cute! both my aunts love wine and would love this. they have a huge wine cork collection

13. Posted August 1, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

LOVE the cork plants!

14. Posted September 5, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Far from having the succulents outgrow the container, I've had more difficulty with them withering in just a few weeks. I'm still trying, though: http://www.humofdelicious.com/2012/09/just-call-me-finnegan.html
    Oh, and my teen daughter teaches at one of those "bring your own wine" studios and shared a sweet little pile of corks recently, so I'm giving a few pre-drilled ones away. Perfect for co-worker Christmas gifts or the like.

15. Harri
    Posted October 4, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

How great is that????  Recycle, recycle, recycle

16. Diane
    Posted October 7, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

Anyone out there have any idea what you would charge for one of those cute little cork planters? I'd like to make some for a upcoming charity craft fair and I know people would love them….what would you guys pay for something like this?

• laura.johnson
      Posted October 8, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Charity always brings out the generosity in people’s heart I think $4-7 depending on the quality of succulent you are able to plant and you could always do a pretty set for $15.

17. Amy
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 12:47 am | Permalink

Love these! What a wonderful use for corks. Where did you find succulents small enough for the corks? I'm ready to do this tomorrow!

18. Posted December 16, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Loved it! I have taken the liberty of posting this on Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/thelittlegreenpage – an online community to spread eco-awareness. Trust this is fine with you.
    Thanks,
    Pravin Amudan

19. charlotte mcclure
    Posted April 5, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Have been saving corked for a little while, now have a new fun way to display

20. lpower
    Posted December 30, 2013 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

You can use baby tillandsia (succulent airplants) and not have to use planting soil. Just hot glue them in place at an attractive angle.

10 Trackbacks

1. [...] Put magnets on them and hang them on your fridge. Instructions here. [...]

2. By 35 Lifechanging Ways To Use Everyday Objects on May 31, 2012 at 2:06 am

Put magnets on them and hang them on your fridge.

3. [...] magnets on them and hang them on your fridge. Instructions here. Source: [...]

4. [...] Put magnets on them and hang them on your fridge. Instructions here. [...]

5. By Craft to do list on October 17, 2012 at 4:33 am

[...] Teeny little plants in corks [...]

6. [...] magnets on them and hang them on your fridge. Instructions here. [...]

7. [...]  http://www.everafterblueprint.com/2012/02/15/projects-you-should-totally-do-tiny-succulant-cork-plan… [...]

8. By Finding the Perfect Gift for Mom on May 9, 2013 at 9:43 pm

[...] Tiny succulent cork planters. What else do we need to [...]

9. By Simple DIY Gardening Ideas « AmesEats Flavors on June 23, 2013 at 11:01 am

[...] Succulent Cork Planters: Hollow out a wine cork, fill it with dirt and plant your favorite succulents http://www.everafterblueprint.com/2012/02/15/projects-you-should-totally-do-tiny-succulant-cork-plan… [...]

10. […] Put magnets on them and hang them on your fridge. Instructions here. […]