Thankfully I made it through the first trimester without feeling too awful, aside from coming home from work most nights and crashing on the couch. (A few weeks ago I had to flip the cushions, because I was worried there would be a permanent impression!) I think I set a record one night by going to bed at 8:30! And I’ve had several nights where I slept 12 hours.
This is also why my posting here has been scattered. I haven’t had the energy to do much more than pin future project ideas. But I officially have a baby board now, so hopefully my energy will start to come back and I can start getting the baby room ready!
We started telling our close friends and family after we found out, but we waited ’til this past week to share with coworkers and on Facebook (that makes it official!) But we wanted to do something fun to “announce” our pregnancy. I saw a lot of examples on Pinterest and Adam and I decided we liked the idea of showing a pair of baby shoes with our feet best.
Our good friend, and amazing photographer Bri, kindly offered to take some pictures for us. At first we were going to take them in the grass, but it was kind of long and you couldn’t really see our shoes. So we swept off our front steps as best we could and took the pictures there. It was Bri’s idea to have the baby shoe in focus with our shoes fading into the background, and I think Adam thought of tucking the ultrasound picture in the shoes. I love how they turned out! Thanks Bri!
Here are a few of my thoughts on pregnancy: 1. Hearing your baby’s heartbeat for the first time and seeing him/her wiggling around in an ultrasound are absolutely amazing!
2. We have decided to use a midwife. No, that doesn’t mean we’ll be having the baby at home. There’s a great service in Des Moines that is connected with the hospitals. So we’ll be in a hospital with the midwife, so if we need anything, the doctors will be right there. I’d like to have the baby without an epidural, but I’m not totally committed to that. I have no idea what labor will be like, so if I need drugs, I’ll take them! We are planning on taking a class on the Bradley method that I’ve heard is really good.
3. Pre-natal vitamins are not a joking matter. Those pills are HUGE! I’m definitely going to get gummies once I finish my current bottle. Of course I bought an extra large bottle with 90 pills, so it will be a few more weeks.
4. Walking is my new go-to exercise. I kept running a little in the beginning, and like to think that I still could, but let’s be honest. I’ll probably stick to walking for the next 6 months.
5. We’re planning on using cloth diapers. Anyone have a favorite style/brand?
6. Maternity clothes are a wonderful thing! I spent time with a dear friend and her 3-month old this weekend and she sent me home with two tubs of clothes. Up until now I’ve been wearing my regular clothes (minus the super tight, skinny jean) and with the help of some rubber bands. But elastic waste jeans, flowy skirts, and stretchy pants are pretty amazing. I’m still not showing much at all, but I definitely feel bigger than normal. One friend compared pregnancy to feeling bloated for 9 months. Not a pretty picture, but so far it’s surprisingly accurate! As much as I love the maternity clothes, I don’t feel like they really “fit” me, but I’m not sure they’ll ever feel like normal clothes.
I still want to get a bathing suit of some kind. I was going to look at Target, but I’m open to suggestions!
7. We are going to find out if we are going to have a boy or a girl. Some people have asked if we’re having a boy, since I guess the baby shoes in the picture look like boys, but we don’t know yet! It was hard picking a pair of uni-sex newborn shoes!
8. I haven’t had any crazy cravings. Mostly I just snack a lot. Almonds, dried fruit, and yogurt are my go-to snacks. My sense of smell is also unreal. I don’t always notice it so much at a restaurant, but when we get home, any lingering smell can drive me crazy. Sometimes I have to spray perfume or air freshener to cover it!
9. I have a stack of books by my bed that friends have lent me, and I’ve flipped through them, but when I have questions about what I can eat or do, I usually head over to BabyCenter. I also love their weekly emails and daily updates! This week the baby is the size of a medium shrimp, who knew?
Whew! I tried to come up with 10 things, but I’m going to stop at 9 and assume that no one is still reading this, 1000 words in. Am I right?
Now that Laura and I will both have little ones in our lives, we’ll probably post some baby ideas, but our primary focus will still be decorating, design, and loving our husbands. We’re excited for this new stage and hope you are too!