I know that Emerson isn't going to remember anything from this Christmas, but it's still fun to think about what traditions we have and what ones we want to start with our family. What are your favorite traditions?
1. Christmas Tree When we moved into our house we started getting real Christmas trees. I wasn't sure if we'd get a tree this year, but Adam insisted and I'm glad we did! Nothing beats the smell of pine in your living room!
2. Charlie Brown Christmas The first year Adam and I were married, I ordered a book with the script for the Charlie Brown Christmas. We read it every Christmas Eve with my sister and then we watch the movie. Each of us takes different characters (we make Adam take all the boy characters). As we have kids who can read we'll get them all involved!
3. Christmas Lights Who doesn't love driving around to look at Christmas lights?! The best is when there's snow on the ground and on the trees so the lights are extra twinkly, but even without snow it's pretty fun. We drove around a week ago to look at lights, unfortunately I'm pretty sure Emerson slept through the whole thing. Maybe he'll notice next year!
4. Cookie Decorating For the last 6 years, I've had a group of girls over to decorate sugar and gingerbread cookies. I make dozens of cookies and we sit and frost them and catch up on each other's lives. This year the husbands watched the babies (and football) while we decorated! I wasn't sure if I'd be up to hosting this year with a 4 week old baby, but I'm so glad we did!
5. Give Every year our church buys gifts for families in the area who can't afford to get presents for their kids. We are so blessed and it's great to be able to help others. This is another tradition that we want to continue when Emerson is older.