My friend Brianne nominated me for a Liebster Award. It's kind of like a chain letter for bloggers. You share random facts about yourself and pass it along to other bloggers. Interesting fact: "liebster" is German for dearest.
I met Brianne about 5 years ago when we co-led a prison-writing workshop (more on that below). She is someone I don't see enough, but whenever we hang out, I always leave inspired!
Here's what you do:
- Write 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions given by the person who nominated you.
- Create 11 new questions.
- Nominate 11 bloggers and mention them in your post.
- Thank the person that nominated you and tell the people you’ve nominated.
Unless you're Adam or my mom, I'm guessing that at least one of these random facts is new to you:
1. I'm not Catholic, but I went to a Catholic high school (Xavier in Cedar Rapids if you're wondering). It's not for everyone, but I loved it. We had a dress code (khakis and a colored shirt that had to be tucked in), but it wasn't as bad as it sounds. I will say that I'll never wear a polo again!
2. I can water ski but have never snow skied and have no desire to learn.
3. My dream vacation is sitting on a beach with a good book and a cold drink.
4. I LOVE the Olympics. Seriously, I'm a little obsessed. I planned office olympics at my last two jobs. Last summer we through a party with friends complete with red, white, and blue tatoos and trivia. Going to the summer games is at the top of my bucket list. Maybe I'll make it to Rio?
5. I took a community writing class in college that was at a women's prison. After I graduated I helped lead a creative writing workshop at a nearby women's correctional institution for several years (with Brianne). It was one of the most unique and rewarding volunteer activites I've ever done.
6. I played tennis all four years in high school. I'm not great, but I love to play! Our coach was the school priest, who we called "Father". Kind of funny to have a dozen high school girls yelling out "Father!" all the time.
7. I have lived in Iowa my whole life with the exception of a summer I spent as an intern at Rodale in Allentown, PA. I love the Midwest, but I dream of living somewhere further south at some point in my life!
8. I worked at the campus bookstore at Drake University when I was a sophomore. It's the only retail job I've ever had and it was perfect-a clothing store and a bookstore in one! The textbook discount was a nice perk too.
9. Adam and my first date was to my senior prom. I asked him. I was desparate for a date and insisted that we were "just friends." The rest is history.
10. I almost always cheer for the underdog at sporting events. Maybe it's because I was raised a Cubs fan, but I love seeing a team come from behind and win!
11. My dad’s name is Kermit, as in Kermit the frog, but he goes by Kim. He was named after his dad. My parents broke tradition and named my brother Kyle.
Here are the questions from Brianne:
1. What character (book/TV/movie) do you wish was your babysitter when you were growing up?
I was a big fan of the Babysitter's Club series. If I remember correctly, Kristy was my favorite, so she would have been a great babysitter.
2. Your go-to roadtrip food?
Chex Mix and Diet Coke.
3. You found $100 in your pocket and have to spend it right away! What do you buy?
Snookies malt shop is just down the street from our house and it just opened this past weekend. I'd walk there and buy ice cream cones for everyone in line.
4. What book do you tell other people they have to read? (If you really don’t read, what movie do you tell other people they simply must see?
I love this question! Little Bee has been the book I recommend most for the last year or two, but I'm always on the look out for my next favorite!
5. What’s one of the most meaningful gifts you’ve given or received?
All of the gifts Adam has given me for our anniversary are special because we give each other traditional gifts. This past year the material was copper and he surprised me with beautiful copper planters!
6. Which company/product/organization do you most enjoy following on social media?
I always keep an eye on the articles @Relevant posts and try to read them when I have a chance.
7. What was your favorite grade in school? What made it the best?
I went to a small church school from kindergarten through eighth grade. There were about 20 kids in my class. After eighth grade most of us split up and went to different high schools. Eighth grade was the best year because we knew it was our last year together.
8. What three things (not people or pets) would you need to feel at home?
A good book, a Capri Blue candle, and my favorite coffee mug
9. Beverage of choice?
Dark roast coffee with cream or red wine
10. If you could start a business, what would you want to sell or what service would you provide?
This is a tough one! I've been thinking about it since I started this post and haven't come up with anything, sorry!
11. What words do you live by?
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else. —Judy Garland
Here are the 11 friends/bloggers I'm nominating, I hope you'll play along!
1. Joylynn I only met Joylynn once last summer when I was visiting Laura in Michigan, but she's one of those people I know I'd be friends with if we lived in the same city.
2. Kelly She's expecting her second baby this summer. I love seeing the latest projects she's working on around her house!
3. Joanna When I worked at Meredith, we would have lunch in the Test Garden and read, I miss those days! She and her husband recently moved to San Francisco and I'm excited to see her when we're there in a few weeks!
4. Carrie She took our newborn photos and is taking 6-month photos of baby boy in a few weeks. She does a great job capturing the unique personalities of little ones.
6. Madison If you're looking for healthy and delicious recipes, she's your girl!
7. Mimi I love Mimi's shabby chic farmhouse! She inspires me to find old furniture and paint it white.
8. Brittney has a son who is about 6 months older than Emerson, so it's fun to see what we have to look forward to.
9. Becky Another photographer, I love seeing life through her viewfinder.
10. Julie She was a fellow magazine major at Drake and it's fun to see what projects she's working on around the house, in the kitchen, and in her yard. And she has an adorable son!
11. Melissa always challenges me to have a Christ-like perspective to parenting.
11 questions to answer:
(I think I'm going to copy these questions and ask them to Adam on our next date night!)
1. If you could be really good at one thing what would it be?
2. What's the most random thing in your refrigerator right now?
3. What is something on your bucket list?
4. Your favorite season and why?
5. Do you prefer beer or wine or neither?
6. If you could live anywhere in the United States, where would it be and why?
7. What's the last live concert or show you went to?
8. What's the best meal you've ever had?
9. What's the best thing (book, article, or blog post) you've read this year?
10. If you had 4 hours to do whatever you want, what would you do?
11. What's one goal you have for this year?